You Are Reading

What started YOU blogging?

This is my 118th post. Not significant in any way other than that it got me thinking about what got me started blogging in the first place.



A couple of years ago I read the above book 'Julie & Julia' the story of Julie Powell and her challenge to herself to cook her way through Julia Child's book: 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' in the space of 1 year. That's cooking her way through EVERY recipe... including delving into some really interesting (sometimes completely gross) cooking techniques and preparing a number of recipes containing offal and more than your monthly (nevermind daily) recommended requirement of cream/fat in one dish.



Julie's book originated from her humorous blog which generated a huge following as she made her way through this project - her Year of Cooking Dangerously. It seems to have been so successful that they are making it into a movie.

This book was the first time I had encountered a book-from-blog publication (I'd heard of others but this was the first I read) and as soon as I finished it I immediately looked the author up and discovered this blogging phenomenon. Starting first by commenting on other peoples blogs I then created my own space which I've tried to maintain (on and off) for almost 2 years.

I thought it was a great way to communicate indirectly with friends and family spread all over the world, and then got completely sucked-in to the inspiration that is shared so freely in this medium. My list of 'favourites' grew until I had to discipline myself to a few choice daily reads in order to get any work done at all...

What started YOU blogging? I'm certain you have a more noble/interesting/inspiring reason for doing what you do. Please share, I'd love to hear.

Comments for this entry

Denise Kiggan

How nice to know what got you going! I love the story of Julie and Julia! Had not heard about it before.
I started by googling design sights for fun and inspiration. I came across design blogs and eventually began to think... maybe I can do it too!

kat

... and you have done it beautifully too. Thanks for sharing Denise.

Me

Not enough job bags :)

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.