You Are Reading

Lee McCormack thinks...



Browsing bookshops is one of my favourite things to do. On spotting this I laughed out loud. Cellphone battery dead, I asked my pal to snap a shot of it with her phone - with the express reason of showing it to my (designer) husband. At R430 I wasn't going to buy it on the spot. On seeing the below review from youworkforthem perhaps I should have..

"The opening chapter of Lee McCormack's extremely engaging manifesto/how-to book on becoming an industrial designer begins, "Don't be a wanker! Embrace what it means to be a professional designer. Making the transition from design student to successful creative often involves a lot of reassessment, adaptation and resignation-just when you thought you'd cracked it and got that qualification, you realize that your actual education starts here…." Written in plain and often playful English, and featuring chapter headings like, "How to relate to the business mind," "Clients, they write the cheques," "Manufacturers are a different breed," "Protecting your ideas," and "Identifying the sharks," this must-have bible for any aspiring designer also contains substantial interviews with Neville Brody, Jason Kirk, Karim Rashid, Piers Roberts and Paul Smith."

Seems of a similar thinking to "How to be a graphic designer without losing your soul".

Comments for this entry

von_brandis

Being a wanker, I object to usage of cover typeface. Not quite capturing the spirit of "wanker" for me :)

sewfunky

I love it! LOL

My husband is a designer too!

janine de waal

Looks awesome! and really worth it, even for architects! = )

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.